Google has released its annual list of the year's most popular searches, offering another simple, but revealing glimpse into the World's psyche. In 2016, money, music, and natural disasters took up the top three spots in the form of the searches “Powerball,” “Prince,” and “Hurricane Matthew.” They’re all deserving of attention: the Powerball jackpot in January was $1.56 billion — the biggest in the world; Prince, who died in April at the age of 57, was a titan of the music world; and Hurricane Matthew, which rocked the United States in late September and early October, is estimated to have caused 1,600 deaths and $10.5 billion in damage.
The Top 10 Searches are as follows:
- 1. Powerball - Money makes the world go round as they say. The almighty Powerball made it to the top as it set the jackpot of $1.56 billion back in January.
- 2. Prince - Just as big as Michael Jackson when it comes to music legends. Prince the superstar singer sadly passed away this year. A massive spike in the search of Prince making it in the top 3.
- 3. Hurricane Matthew - Who would think a natural disaster would get in the top 3 of most trending topics on Google. Hurricane Matthew was an extremely destructive disaster which hit headlines around the world.
- 4. Pokemon Go - Who would have ever thought that Pokemon would make such a huge comeback with its gaming app? With top celebrities being fans of this gaming app, this easily made it in the top 5 most trending list.
- 5. Slither.io - Some may not be familiar with this topic. This is an online game which is based on the well-known game Snake. Being multiplayer, it’s been a success for the company that designed the online game.
- 6. Olympics - The biggest sports event in the world, of course, was always going into the top 5 of most searches keywords. Whether it was for results, news or video clips, the Olympics 2016 held in Rio made a huge impact around the world.
- 7. David Bowie - Another music legend who we lost earlier this year. The British superstar was known for both his music and acting roles.
- 8. Trump - Yes, the new president of United States of America. With millions around the world getting involved when the elections were taking place in America, it seems that people also wanted to research the candidates – one being Donald Trump.
- 9. Election - A big surprise for us as Election was yet behind Donal trump but before Hillary Clinton. With the biggest election which took placed in America, people around the world were all talking about it!
- 10. Hillary Clinton - Last but not least, Hillary Clinton may not have made the next president of America but she did make the top ten of Googles most trending for 2016.